Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Vibes on Netvibes

For the star of my second post, it has to be NetVibes. No other Cloud Application out there is as hip and sexy as my dear NetVibes. Especially now that they recently launched their new Ginger version, I have to tell you all about how cool their interface is. Their themes rock!

Below are my greatest use of Netvibes:
RSS Aggregation.
My netvibes page has become my fully customized and personalized daily newspaper - both content and presentation are dictated by me. I can quickly scan through almost all the topics that interests me (that I added and compiled myself) and group them or categorize them, add a theme, and arrange them in my layout preference by dragging the modules around depending on my whim.
Personal Utility.
At work, the ability to paste text straight into a module (in my private page) give me so much power and agility with my data which is absolutely in the clouds! I can come home and browse through the edgy sites that I've come across from work which I saved in those notes modules with some of my comments as leads for blogging ideas. As a matter of fact, netvibes has become a complementary tool for my blogging purposes. The To-Do-List is also nice.
Self-Publishing.
The scope of Netvibes Ecosystem is pretty huge, and I actually have published my other blogs as widgets in their directory, namely Archetyper and Exoplanetology. For those developers who've been using their Universal Widget API (UWA), netvibes widgets now also work in the iPhone & iTouch, as well as in iGoogle & YahooWidgets.

And now, with their Ginger release, they introduced the concept of your own "Universe page", a public page where you can basically share your custom modules, tailored with the content you want, from RSS feeds, text, HTML, or widgets. As a matter of fact, your universe page can serve as a complement to your own website, if not a replacement for it (if your own site looks terrible). Your own Universe page is so easy to update, no FTP needed or HTML coding. Just plain clicking, typing, copy-pasting, and drag-and-dropping, and you suddenly have a hip page hosted in their servers. It even has some twitter-like "Status" update, and facebook-like "Wall".
What else is in store? Well at the top right, I can see a "Drive" still inactive. And it tells me that they're on to something like storing personal large files.
For now, netvibes continues to be a very useful service for me. It's one CloudApp that truly rocks!

No comments: